Festivals / Holidays               Thoughts On Parenting               Fun Things To Make               The Great Outdoors               Creative Learning

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

On the Road and Back Home - Oregon or Bust Part IV

After our wonderful cross-country train trip we rented a car and drove north. The original purpose for the trip was so I could be in my dear friend's wedding to take place just outside of Seattle.

Shortly after leaving Portland, we saw Mt. St. Helens. When I was ten the volcano blew and so much ash fell on the ground where I lived in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, that we did not go the school for several days. (I still have a big jug of the ash.)

The drive was lovely and I was reminded of how much I enjoyed life in the Pacific Northwest.

After spending the night at Kitsap Navy Lodge, we headed out to Stevens Pass. Tiny coffee huts dotted the roadside leading to the pass. The pass, with towering evergreens and patches of snow, led us to Leavenworth, a quaint Bavarian town. The food and shopping were a pleasure as was the stunning drive back over the pass.


The next few days were a whirlwind of wedding arrangements, the joy of participating in such a love-filled event and packing up to head south of Portland to visit family. It was a long, but lovely drive down Highway 101.
What a good time we had with my brother and his family! Whether we were geocaching at the Newport beach, where Aidan and I were soaked by the waves, or just hanging out, we all appreciated the warmth of family ties and good friends.
After several days, it was time to head back home. Again, we drove on Highway 101 north then over to Portland, with a stop over at the Tillamook Cheese factory for fun. My husband, Rob, had left a few days earlier, so the boys and I flew home on our own. They are such good little travelers, making the time pass by drawing till their heart's content.



Now we have been home for 3 weeks and have more travel adventures to tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The contents of this blog, including text, original photos and ideas are the sole property of the author. If you intend to use my text or images, please link back to this blog and give credit to How the Sun Rose. Please do not republish an entire post or post photos of my family. A notification email would be greatly appreciated too!