Festivals / Holidays               Thoughts On Parenting               Fun Things To Make               The Great Outdoors               Creative Learning

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Terrariums - part 2 - A Gift




I am fortunate to have a very sentimental husband who saves my hand made cards and will keep every little bit of nature, from a brightly colored feather to a tiny sea shell, that the boys or I give him.  With that in mind, I set out to make him an anniversary gift.  I thought of many things ranging from paper craft to fiber arts, but decided on something that would represent our love for nature: a terrarium.

A few weeks ago I posted about a tiny terrarium that I made and mentioned plants I purchased at the Philadelphia Flower Show.  I've had the plants waiting for an inspired moment and this was it.

To begin, I gathered a jar (ours is one given to us for our wedding), pebbles, potting soil, moss, Tillandsia (air plants), gemstones we found on vacation in North Carolina, shells from Ireland, and various other natural treasures from time spent together.  I also used a piece of scrapbook paper and toothpicks to include a special message.

 I began by filling the bottom with 2 inches of pebbles to allow water to drain. If you do not have pebbles nearby, you can purchase a bag for a few dollars at craft stores. 
On top of the pebbles, I added about 3 inches of potting soil and the moss.
 
 
 Next, I wrote out a message to go in the terrarium. (Song of Solomon 3:4) I was going to type the message, but then decided hand-written would add to the sentiment.  If you include a message, be sure to seal it with packing tape so water will not warp the paper.
 
I added the Tillandsia plants, and placed the rocks, shells and other natural treasures all around the moss and the message - taped onto toothpicks - in the moss.


 That's all there is to it.  The only maintenance from here on out is to mist it with water every few days.
 
 
It was easier than I expected and now I am thinking about making one to represent our whole family, a kids terrarium (I'm sure lego minifigures will be involved.) and perhaps a fairy garden terrarium.

4 comments:

  1. What a great gift idea! Thank you for spreading JOY and sharing at the Oh What a HAPPY Day party.

    Holly at Not Done Growing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lovely, thank you for sharing.
    warm greetings from Holland, sas

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks so cute together!

    ReplyDelete

The contents of this blog, including text, original photos and ideas are the sole property of the author. If you intend to use my text or images, please link back to this blog and give credit to How the Sun Rose. Please do not republish an entire post or post photos of my family. A notification email would be greatly appreciated too!